dimanche, septembre 26, 2004
  don't quit your job today
Man.

My job is SO busy. I know, I know: blah blah blah.

I've just never had a cooking job that was so non-stop. It's homecoming weekend, so that might account for the slamming we got today, but sheesh. We kept running out of stuff. We had five people in that tiny kitchen trying to keep up. And I'm not so good on the lunch menu items yet, so when we get a table of 8 or more people and they order a combination of breakfast and lunch items, I'm pretty much lost. That's when I spend my energy trying to stay out of the way.

And I missed out on another lovely sunny day. I could see the sky out the kitchen door and it was looking particularly crisp and blue today. Before leaving work, I dumped out the remaining half a cup of coffee that I had poured for myself at 10:00 and barely had time to touch for the four succeeding hours.

Blah, blah, poor me.

In other news, I went shopping on Friday afternoon. I caught the bus to Sherbrooke and spent a few hours at the Carrefour de l'Estrie (the mall). I've been struggling with getting dressed since getting here - my 'student' wardrobe was pretty limited, due to, you know, not having been a student for the past seven years.

And I'm not a shopper; I generally hate shopping. So things started slowly. But once you break that spending seal, the floodgates open. I scored some excellent attire at numerous stores, spending a bunch of money I do not have (thank you, Visa). Whatever, though. A student needs to have clothes. It just means I'm a little more dependent on my part-time income. Or a sugar daddy. Or some imaginary lottery winnings...

I'm going to be making a whopping $8.50 per hour at this work-your-butt-off cooking job. That's a little better than minimum wage. And the whole thing is an excellent reminder why I am here: so I have a degree and am not stuck working in low-paying but physically demanding jobs.

On the school front, I'm starting to feel some serious pressure. Next week I have a midterm in perception (2 parts - each worth 12.5% of my final), then I have a midterm in European politics (worth 25% of my final mark), and a 'progress test' in psychometrics (worth 12.5%). I also have a three computer assignments to complete. I had intended to spend some time on them this weekend, but after the incident with my computer, I haven't been able to re-download JBuilder3, so I gotta get myself to school to use the computer labs there. This afternoon was dedicated to some serious decompressing after that crazy shift this morning, though. It's now approaching 8 P.M. and I'm finally having a cup of coffee to perk myself up a little before diving into my studies. It doesn't look like I'll make it to the library tonight. Time management is becoming more critical.

Please send your good vibes my way.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home