dimanche, octobre 03, 2004
  midnight in Louisiana
Last night I fell asleep at a decent hour. Only to be awoken just after midnight by my neighbours and their young friends, who were listening to Garth Brooks (?), cranked WAY up (with lots of bass, rattling me from my dreams). They were out on the lawn, belting out Callin' Baton Rouge. Delightful. Thankfully it didn't last long.

Work was a little better this weekend. I'm kinda sorta getting the hang of things, so my stress level is gradually decreasing. Working with Derek (the dude who cooks with me and has taught me everything) is good, too. He doesn't let much get to him. And we have some periods where the bills just keep coming and coming. You get to hate the sound of that printer, chugging out the orders. Today Derek said, "If they wanted fast food, they would have gone to McDonald's," which I thought was an excellent point. The kitchen is truly the emergency room of the restaurant business. It's all about the current crisis: a table of eight, running out of stuff and having to improvise, trying to remember to breathe. Trying not to fall on that slippery floor.

People are nice there too. When we start, there's always a bit (okay, a lot) of complaining about the ungodly hour of the morning and how we all would have liked to sleep in this day... Derek is even going to check in on Salsa for me this weekend when I go to Moncton for Thanksgiving. Yay, I don't have to work next weekend.

So I realized recently that I didn't bring enough of my CDs with me. Living this student life, I tend to be home studying / working more, and I find myself wishing for a slightly better selection. I also don't have enough "study music". I downloaded an Enya album tonight, since that was my preferred study accompaniment last time I was a student.

I also don't watch much TV. I'm not letting myself get involved in any of my usual favourite shows. Not even The Apprentice. Not even Survivor. I watch Oprah, if I'm home at that time. And I tape a couple things, like Law & Order: C.I. and Charmed. Oh, and I watched the U.S. presidential debate. I found out that George Bush is still a moron.

Baton Rouge translates to "red stick". I had that damn song in my head all day.

First midterm tomorrow (yay, it's multiple choice). Wish me luck.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home