samedi, novembre 13, 2004
  technical difficulties
GRR. I am not so happy with the internet service I get from Videotron. It goes down and my whole system basically freezes up. It's happened several times, and often it's just a matter of "re-setting" the modem, which involves unplugging the cords in a certain order, waiting for a minute and then re-attaching them in the same order.

So yesterday morning as I was sitting here working away and my connection went down, I spent the next 2 hours re-setting and re-re-setting my modem, all to no avail. I also only slept four hours the night before as I was working on my Testing project, so the combination of factors made for a very cranky Stacey.

I saved my work to a disc and decided to go to school to finish my report. Only, when I got to school, none of the computers there would read my disc, so I had no way to get my report printed / completed. The saving element was that McKelvie decided to grant us an extension on the project, so it's not due 'til Monday now. Good news, since I'm kinda stuck on what else to include. Bad news, since I now have TWO major projects due early next week. So I'm kinda holed up in my shack (i.e. one-room-apartment) grinding away at research and writing.

The cable guy was just here, and although at this particular moment I have an internet connection, he said the signal at the outside box-thing was very low, so my service will likely be intermittent for up to THREE DAYS since he couldn't be sure when another technician-guy would be along to fix the "box" (he actually called it by some French name, but I can't remember what it was).

I'm seriously contemplating switching to DSL or something. I rely too much on the internet for my connection to the outside world, and having it be so unpredictable is extremely frustrating. Man!

In domestic news, I re-arranged my house (i.e. one-room-apartment) yesterday. Due to the not-so-efficient insulating properties of this place (I have two outside walls, and windows and doors that seem to let in a lot of the cold), I needed to get stuff off the wall with the radiator so the heat would be dispersed maximally, and get my bed (i.e. mattress) out of the cold section of the room. I like my new arrangement, despite the fact that it means I now sleep with my head next to the stove. How many people can say that, really?
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home