mardi, janvier 18, 2005
  another example of the scam
Despite my strong advocacy for smart snack-planning, today I found myself unprepared to spend the bulk of my day on campus. I was hungry and didn't have adequate snacks. So I went to the "BUS Stop" (Bishop's University Snacks...?) and selected a sandwich. They are kind enough to list the contents of the sandwich on the label: turkey, tomato, lettuce, margarine, cucumbers. Since the absence of mayonnaise was unacceptable to me, I picked up a few packages from a container near the food. They were the same size as your typical pack of ketchup. When I went to the till, the cashier noticed my mayo-packs after ringing in my sandwich and remarked that she hadn't rung them in. "You have to pay for these...?" I asked, rather incredulously. She says, yes, because THEY have to pay for them, too.

If that is the argument, why do we not get charged for cream and sugar in our coffees? Surely the small cost adds up over time, or maybe, just maybe they account for it in the cost of a coffee? Because when I'm paying close to five dollars for a modest sandwich, I'm pretty sure that I'm getting ripped off enough already without being charged extra for a tiny package of mayonnaise.

We are a captive market at Bishop's, too. There isn't any other restaurant / deli / coffee shop on campus competing for our business. GRR. It's frustrating.

Better snack-planning from now on! Down with the scam.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home