dimanche, janvier 30, 2005
  "We, the people..."
For my North America since 1860 class, I have to read selected excerpts from the constitutions of all three North American countries. Let me just say that it it boring as hell. I suppose the Canadian one (the British North America Act of 1867, and the Constitution Act of 1982) was a little more interesting, because at least it has to do with my own country, and hence seems more relevant.

I read most of the Mexican one this afternoon, and I'm not sure if I can tell you which parts were the most fascinating. Was it the part about who gets to own land? or maybe how a citizen loses their citizenship? how about the part about mandatory military service (okay, maybe that was slightly interesting).

Our class is pretty big, so instead of class discussions, Professor Manore has assigned an "online debate", where we are each designated to a group which will debate one side of an argument about the constitutions. I'm in group "A", so I have to argue the affirmative side of the following:

Resolved: Canada's constitution is the most democratic of the three countries we are studying.

I'm procrastinating on reading the U.S. constitution. It looks particularly dry. The first section starts with "all legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and a House of Representatives." Ugh. The whole first page is about how members of the senate and house get elected/appointed. Not so rivetting.

Guess I better get working on my position supporting the idea that WE have the most democratic constitution. Yee-haw.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home