mardi, mars 08, 2005
  protecting the homeland
On Sunday when Pammy and I flew into Detroit, we had to clear U.S. customs before re-checking our luggage for the next flight to Montreal. We hadn't had to do this on the way through leaving the continent. On the plane they played a little video outlining American security policies and the new U.S. "VISIT" procedure, consisting of photographing and digitally fingerprinting all visitors. I had heard about this new system in the news a while back, and had sorta thought that Canadians were exempt from the process, but I neglected to pay close attention to the video.

From the Homeland Security website:
"The US-VISIT program was created to use cutting-edge biometrics to check the identity of foreign travelers."

So we arrive in Detroit and are hearded down the hall to Homeland Security (on this trip it seemed like all flights arrived at the same time, so we always seemed to be part of a massive crowd converging on previously empty locations). U.S. residents went to their spot and "visitors" went to another. We stood in line and watched as people were indeed photographed and fingerprinted.

I started to get very uncomfortable.

Pammy had asked one of the security men whether we all had to participate in this ritual and he said something about "well, you're in United States now", in a way that made me uncomfortable. And as I stood there I got more outraged about it. They wanted to fingerprint ME? But I didn't even want to be there - I was just passing through! My OWN government doesn't have my fingerprints (at least, not to my knowledge).

It occurred to me: what would the U.S. government do if countries around the world started fingerprinting American citizens? It's pretty outrageous that they can get away with this, if you think about it. It's like presuming guilt or something. And don't give me the excuse that terrorists attacked - that doesn't justify this invasion of privacy.

Anyway, it turned out that I was correct about Canadians being exempt, so I breathed a sigh of relief. Actually, I turned around and gave Pammy a big smile and thumbs-up or something, which, after having just cleared customs, probably made me look slightly suspicious, but w/e.

It really makes me not want to visit that country. I'm surprised that other visitors and countries have accepted the practice so readily. We'll be next, you know.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home