dimanche, avril 10, 2005
  and thusly means THUS
This weekend has been devoted to getting ready to write my political analysis paper. I'm all immersed in research on democratic reform right now. I do quite enjoy this topic.

Right now I'm reading an article about whether there is too much power concentrated in the hands of the Prime Minister. The writer discusses how, compared to other Westminster-style democracies, Canada's leader does in fact seem to have less in the way of checks and balances on his authority.

There are so many things we could change to make things better (more democratic); it's annoying that I'm only going to be advocating one. My paper will at least explain the other options - for instance, Senate reform (make the positions elected instead of appointed), fixed election dates, changes to the Access to Information Act, electoral reform, more referenda, citizen initiatives for agenda items - but then I have to argue why the one I choose is the best one.

We learn in the study of politics about "incrementalism" as an effective approach to policy-making. Voters don't want radical change. So that will be my rationale for taking a "baby step" in the area of democratic reform.

Last night Devin and I watched Closer. It was different and I liked it - plus it had music by Damien Rice. We ate some nachos with cheese. And drank beer. It was a good work break.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home