vendredi, mai 20, 2005
  heads Carolina, tails California
I check my website stats regularly (okay, compulsively) to see who's visiting, and where my referrals are coming from. I get a lot of people looking for images of a shark attack (I wrote about Art getting attacked by a mako shark back in the fall).

I get a lot of people doing a search for "school thumbs", the significance of which completely escapes me. And every once in a while I get people looking for the Oxford Stomp, which is a party hosted by the property management company in Calgary called Oxford Properties during the Stampede. When I worked in Bow Valley Square years ago, it became part of the routine each year to attend that party. I remember it being called the "Beef 'n Beans" (a typical name for parties in Calgary during the Stampede). Basically they fence in a big field, put up a tent in one end for bands and two-stepping, a tent in the other end where the beef and beans are served, and set up rows and rows of port-a-potties for the crowds of increasingly drunken stampeders.

Today I clicked on the link that took me to my archives in August and I read something that made me think. This:
It's at the point now where I don't have much respect for certain lawyers. A law firm is the worst place to work as an administrative person, too, because of the indentured-servant feeling of it all. I'm sick of being a babysitter. And I'm sick of being treated like a person who has less value simply because of my role within this company. Even if I have to start at the bottom all over again when I get back, I absolutely resolve to not take another job with no prospects for growth, challenge and real responsibility.
And then I got an email from an old friend who said, "I'm surprised that Heenan didn't put you off law firms altogether."

And I was like, DUH! You're RIGHT! What AM I doing here?

Today was mostly spent revising the same two documents. A takeover bid which is sixty-plus pages, which we had to scan in because we didn't have a soft copy and hence lost all the formatting. Guess who's putting in all the italics, bolding, spacing, paragraphs, page numbering, table of contents, changing company names, bulleting dates... The other document is a spreadsheet of shareholders that I've been maintaining since Wednesday. We keep getting new subscribers. That one is tolerable at least. But this afternoon I was almost falling asleep at my desk from the monotony of lame work.

And then I got a call from the temp agency. The firm is very pleased with my work and would I be interested in staying on until I go back to school? (I told them when I registered that I graduated and was done school, but they seem to have forgotten that part.) I told her I would have to think about it. Because it wouldn't be a contract, but it would be a commitment, and it's like signing up for a job that you don't want. I'm not saying I would rather be home twiddling my thumbs and dying of boredom and poverty in my mom's basement (!), but I just want to be sure that I'm moving in the right direction.

I kinda feel like I've been walking around in a daze the last few days, because the shock of being plunked right back where I came from is a little strange to me. I don't want to be the legal assistant anymore. But what do I do instead? I'm waiting on some applications I made last week, but who knows...?!

Maybe I'll get attacked by a mako shark at the Oxford Stomp and suffer from school thumbs (just a little something to reinforce my referrers).
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home