mercredi, août 24, 2005
  when the truth came out were you the last to know
I'm going to be very broke soon. But hopefully it's all for long-term gain. You see, in the securities law business, we help our clients, both private and public companies, raise money by issuing securities. We're about to do that "bought deal" I mentioned in an earlier post, and it's a pretty sweet deal for those who can get in on it. Often they let the senior lawyers on the deals on the "president's list", but Boss is being generous and sharing the opportunity with a couple other lawyers and even a couple legal assistants (like me!). So I get to buy 1,000 class A shares for $1.90 each.

The key in this case is that the company's shares are currently trading around $3.00 on the TSX Venture Exchange. So it's kinda like instant profit, except for one small matter of a mandatory hold period. I have to hold them for four months. And then, if the shares keep going up, or even just retain their current price (no reason to expect they won't - it's an oil company and this is Alberta) I'm set to make a good profit. The tough part is coming up with the $1,900 right now. I don't have that kind of money just lying around, so I'm planning to take a big Visa cash advance and hopefully borrow a couple hundred from a generous family member (still waiting to hear). I'll be pinching my pennies for the next several months while I pay back the Visa people. Eep.

The other night Stacey told some other lawyers that I actually do the work of a junior lawyer on her deals. I draft agreements and circulars reasonably well, so I'm a little more than just a document editor. That was nice to hear, except I joked that she better not tell me that or I might have to ask for a raise...! Junior lawyers make a little more than I do at this point. For now I'll just keep working as much $30/hour overtime as I can handle. That should help with the Visa bill.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home