vendredi, septembre 16, 2005
  finally the tables are starting to turn
Alberta to cut 'prosperity bonus' cheques
Based on private-sector forecasts that the province's year-end surplus is headed toward $7-billion, the pool of money for bonuses could be as high as $1.4-billion.
Dear Ralph,

I don't want the money.

Okay, sure, I could use the money, and it sure would be nice to have cash gifts randomly given to me at times, but this time, I want you to do something different with it. Maybe it's because I wasn't raised here in Alberta, but I have come to this province with the ability to recognize just how fortunate the people who live here ALREADY ARE. They have more jobs, more money, more security, more prosperity, and because I live here (a random choice at best), I benefit too.

But why? Because this province happens to sit on a resource that the world is in desperate need of and will pay handsomely for. It's not because we work harder or are somehow entitled to a better quality of life than the rest of the people living across Canada in non-oil-rich provinces. How have we gotten to the point where we think we somehow deserve so much more?

I would ask about why we aren't using this surplus money on improving our own provincial health care system, or generally upgrading existing social programs or investing in education, but I have a different focus today. Today I want you to consider the places in this country that struggle year-round to run basic charity programs. Recently I've seen news items discussing the challenges facing food banks and soup kitchens in the Maritime provinces. Specifically in my home town of Moncton, New Brunswick. Ralph, I'm wondering if you would just send my cheque to one of those places. Let's send some of Alberta's good fortune outside the province, to places where they need it much more than we do.

Is is a handout? Some might say so. Is it a handout to help your brother feed his family? Is it a handout to help your grandmother get the care she needs? Does there have to be a payoff in order to extend some compassion and a helping hand?

Anyway, that's what I plan to do if and when I receive my cheque. I challenge other Albertans to do the same. Let's leave the politicians to battle out the rules governing who gets what and do a small thing that will make a meaningful difference regardless.

Sincerely,
the Chief Executive Officer
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home