lundi, septembre 26, 2005
  see, I'd have all the money in the world, if I was a wealthy girl
Last August I turned in my resignation at a law firm where I detested the lawyer I worked for. Today I turned in my resignation at a law firm where I really like the lawyer I work for. I had none of the glee today that I experienced last time I quit a job.

Here's the scoop: I applied for a position at froo's company and they interviewed me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I keep saying: "more money, less stress". And that about sums it up. The dance of joy stuff that I was referring to yesterday was simply because they offered me more money than I asked for in the interview. Significantly. More. Like I said, couldn't turn it down. It's a sweet offer, and I'm pretty thrilled to accept a position with more manageable hours at a place where I can leave the job at work and still have the time and energy to have a life.

I was telling someone today how when I went back to school last year, I found myself thinking, "what exactly have I been doing for the past seven years?" And sure, you do a lot of growing up, gaining work experience and figuring out who you are in your twenties, but as far as concrete accomplishments or noteworthy milestones, I think I was lacking. So I don't want to spend my thirties in a blur of stress and crisis management - a "holding pattern", my friend Mark would say (he's a bit of a punk, but the stuff he says sometimes makes sense).

My new boss said to me the other day while making me this job offer that, "the fact that you went back to school and got your degree" sealed it for me and put me ahead of the other candidates. It was precisely the validation I have been needing since getting that degree. This job is not the peak of a career path for me, but it feels like a solid step in the right direction. More money, less stress. Time, energy and cash to devote to planning the next step. Maybe. We'll see.

And as far as leaving my current position, I'm ambivalent. It has been great to work with somebody as cool as Stacey, and I feel bad that she is losing somebody that she valued too. She was looking pretty bummed today. Blame it all on Boss, people. That man needs to get his act together. And I get the sense that Stacey thinks she's stuck with him. Not me; I'm jumping ship.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home