mardi, novembre 29, 2005
  I could think of things I never thunk before
I think I've totally lost any math ability I used to have. Hello, former MATH MEDAL winner here...! Okay, it was grade ten, and the medal was just for having the highest score out of the people at my high school who wrote the Cayley Contest (I think that's what it was). Today I feel like I need a tutor!

To make the time go by faster at my "job", and to do something a little bit mentally challenging and maybe useful for the future, I'm doing a practice test for the "Graduate Recruitment Test" that you must write if you want to work for the Public Service Commission. I did an actual test in May when I returned from Bishop's, but I don't think my results were that impressive. My brain was still in recovery mode after the six-course second semester I'd just burnt out on.

These types of problems are giving me the most trouble:
Marcel can type five pages in half an hour. Paul can type three times that in 2/3 the amount of time. Which formula can be used to determine how many pages can be typed in two hours by these two people?

(1) (120 / 30) × (3 × 5) + (120 / 30 × 5)
(2) (2 × 5) + 2 × (3 × 5)
(3) 2 ÷ (5 × 1/2) + 2 ÷ (5 × 3)
(4) 2[5/(1/2) + 5 × 3/(1/3)]
(5) [(5 × 3) / 2/3] × 2
I feel like such an idiot that I can't seem to work through these. And double because I know a lot of the people reading my site are math and computer geniuses, so this is undoubtedly rather obvious to at least one of you out there. Man!
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home