samedi, décembre 17, 2005
  I don't know how and when, but I know we'll meet again
English Debate Report:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
No matching ties tonight. Just lots of spiffy-ness. Especially Harper - Devin and I were saying that from the neck down he was flawless. That and his hair - perfect.

Paul Martin was acting all prime ministerial again. And he pulled it off. Maybe it's because he's had more practice at being a leader and both Harper and Layton have lots to learn still, but I just can't help but like Paul. He's authoritative and assertive, but not arrogant (at least I don't find), and it works for him. He also resists getting to defensive even though he's constantly under attack in these debates.

Jack, I printed off your bingo cards with Paul Martin phrases to cross off, and he only said TWO of them. "Fundamentally" and "I agree with Jack". Too many of the phrases on the bingo cards related to defending the sponsorship gongshow, and Paul's moved into some new verbiage in that area. And contrary to your recomendation to settle in with beer and popcorn, Devin and I opted instead to have pizza and wine while we watched the show. No bingo winners tonight, sir.

Layton, Harper and Duceppe all spoke well and got their message across. Points to Duceppe for his improved English and better articulation of selling points on the independent-Quebec deal. Both last night and tonight he's presented it very calmly as Quebec being neither better nor worse than Canada, just different. I do not support separation, but he's the most rational representative for the case I've seen as of yet. That still doesn't persuade me that he should even BE at these debates, but I can see why Quebecers might vote for him.

I also like Jack more and more when I see him proposing positive alternatives to the status quo instead of the same boring stuff we've heard from the Conservatives and Liberals over and over already. He really focussed on getting his message out instead of engaging in too much annoying rhetoric.

froo asked me who won. I kinda don't think there were any clear winners or losers. Everybody had strong moments and some less-strong moments. Everybody articulated their party position. Everybody performed well.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home