lundi, décembre 19, 2005
  just another soldier on a road to nowhere
Devin and I went to see a fantastic movie yesterday called C.R.A.Z.Y. It's a French movie, filmed in Quebec (with sub-titles for me). In selecting movies to see at the theatre, I usually check on IMDB for reviews and user comments. This movie had people just raving about it, so I was crossing my fingers that it was even close to that good. And I have to say, it was such a great movie, I would have never guessed it was made in Canada. I don't know a lot about Quebec filmmaking, but Devin tells me that there's quite a bit of talent in them there seven million frenchies. Very cool. If you get a chance, I totally recommend taking this movie in.

After the film we went to Bottoms Up to watch the Flames game. Since political discussions are so common these days, I found myself chatting with a man who thought that by intentionally spoiling his ballot in federal elections, he was sending a valuable message to the government. He said he'd been doing it all of his life. I don't want to be too harsh, but I kinda thought that was one of the dumbest things I'd ever heard. The power of voting is in the vote (we won't get into how that's not actually true in our first-past-the-post electoral system - his issue wasn't with the electoral system). OR, if it was your intention to send a message, one might start some kind of grassroots movement where everybody spoiled their ballots en masse. Or hello, there are a bazillion other ways to get your message to politicians, if that's really what you want to do.

I'm starting to think that one of the areas of political science that I'm particularly interested in (besides democratic reform) is the concept of "political socialization" - as in, how people learn about and come to understand the political process as they grow up, and how they see their role as voters. I think that there is tremendous value for children in the simple experience of seeing their own parents go and vote. I know plenty of people who don't care AT ALL about voting or political issues. That just seems wrong to me. But you can't make people care. You could, however, make them vote, as they do in Australia.

Devin, Tone-L and I discussed this idea of mandatory voting and whether the voting age should be raised. There is an argument that even at the age of eighteen, one doesn't really have the sophistication to make an educated choice when voting. Then again, some kids ARE prepared for the responsibility. So my suggestion was to make voting compulsory for anyone above the age of 25, but anyone above the age of 18 could vote if they were so inclined. Good idea, no...?
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home