samedi, décembre 31, 2005
  like pouring rain back into a cloud
I've been doing more experimenting with new technology this week. Although I agree with a piece I read recently that said that podcasts were one of the worst trends of 2005 (I'd say more over-hyped), I no longer think they're quite as stupid as before. It's a matter of knowing where to get good quality content and being willing to risk trying new stuff that might not live up to expectations, in order to get to the good material.

Every night on Global National with Kevin Newman, he closes by reminding you that the broadcast is available as a podcast. Generally I'd prefer to watch my national news, but since I occasionally miss it, I've now subscribed to the podcast and listen to it the next morning to get caught up. I think I'll probably see if there are additional commercial news sources that do international news podcasts too.

Another fun one I've started listening to is the NPR's "story of the day" feature, which is a quick five-minute segment with a current story you wouldn't hear on the news. For example, today's was this piece on an African man who was educated in the U.S. and became very wealthy working for Microsoft. He then decided to use his money in his home country of Ghana to help contribute to the future success of his people by funding a top-notch university. Yesterday's piece was about the ex-communication proceedings of a Catholic priest in California. Very interesting features.

Another one I'd recommend is the CBC's Radio 3. I gather that this is actually a satellite radio station (the next hot trend I need to investigate), but they make some of the featured programs available as podcasts. Yesterday I listened to a really good one doing the "Top 14 Canadian songs of 2005". I'm pretty out of the loop concerning new and independent Canadian music, so it was nice to hear about some good musicians like "Two Hours Traffic" and "Immaculate Machine" with some catchy Canadian songs. I definitely recommend that one.

So basically podcasts are about making already-existing content available in a new media format. Of course, it does mean that any dude with a microphone in his basement can also create BAD audio programs, too, but I plan to avoid that guy. Also, I use iTunes to find these podcasts. iTunes kinda sucks on my Windows XP-running computer - I don't know if it would be better on a Mac...? Anyway, my point is, if you're not using iTunes, I don't know how you would find a thorough listing and subscription option to most of these podcasts unless you already knew where they originated from.
That's the technology report.Image hosted by Photobucket.com
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home