mercredi, janvier 04, 2006
  better sorry than safe
People, I need some advice. I have to take some steps to make a change, and I'm not sure what to do. I hate feeling trapped, and that is how I've been feeling in this job. Trapped, bored and frustrated. But with the start of a new year there comes a little bit of hope and a sense of seeing the finish line in this particular leg of the "race". Because maybe, perhaps this is a year in which I could conceivably go back to school yet again come September. So maybe I would be able to tolerate the non-busy-ness and non-challenge and long commute for just a few more months (okay, eight months).

There ARE jobs out there. I went out to meet with yet another agency today that specializes in legal placements. The area that I've typically worked in (securities) is a very hot area in Calgary right now. The salaries they're posting for securities legal assistants are way higher than I've seen even pretty recently, so even though I thought the money in my current job was unusual, I may not have to contemplate such a major pay cut. And these are positions at very respectable law firms. DOWNTOWN. The woman I met with today told me that if I decide to proceed, things would happen fast.

The reason I'm debating a job change is because I'm bored most of the time in my current job. When I'm not bored, I'm frustrated (and then angry), because when something REAL comes up, I still don't know how to do it, because I had no training and have basically no resources. My boss is nice (a very nice, gentle man), but we have little rapport established, and I find I can't really go to him for help on most things anyway. I've tried that and he has very few answers for me. What I want in a job are some clear expectations set out, some clear feedback scheduled, and definite training and resources available. This company has provided none of these.

Would returning to a law firm be a good idea? The reason I left the last one was because it was super-stressful; who's to say that I wouldn't be diving straight back into that? Would changing to ANY other job at this point make sense given that the tentative plan is to leave it at the end of August...? What if my school plans get put on hold and I don't leave in September?

Does anybody have something to say on this matter?
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home