lundi, février 20, 2006
  she figures she'll know where she is when she's there
I haven't heard from Carleton yet regarding my application, so I checked their handy website to check my status and they had the following information:

Doesn't sound bad, eh? I think this is reasonably positive...

Recently somebody told me that going back to school was an attempt to "avoid reality". I really disagree with that sentiment. If I'd never left school in the first place, you might be able to make that argument. But even then, maybe not. There are plenty of people who become "professional students" simply because they love that life. They can't see the appeal of "reality" and choose to continue bettering themselves through education. Unfortunately, our society is based on the drive to earn more money and consume more stuff. Obviously as a non-wage-earning student you don't contribute as much to that capitalist cycle, but it doesn't mean you are "avoiding" reality. I've done this so-called reality, thank you very much, and it doesn't meet my needs. Maybe reality is avoiding ME, and maybe reality needs to conform to my expectations a little better.

Isn't it possible that the academics are the ones who have it figured out? They've seen reality for what it is and they defer participation in it. They look at all the suckers suffering under the misdguided notion that you can never have enough money and wonder why anybody would choose that kind of stress. Because you know what it all means to fully participate in the mass-consumption world; it never ends - there is always something new to buy, something better to covet. Why the rush to become a slave to that mentality? Also, why doesn't that thought go the other way - why don't we say that it's the people who can't handle the challenge of academia, or some other non-money-driven pursuit, who are forced to participate in consumerism, because that's what they resort to in order to feel better about their lives...?

Of course, I have an ongoing debate with myself about whether my mindset is a form of denial. It's easy to just say you don't want nice fancy stuff when you can't afford it anyway. Sure, it would be nice to drive a really sleek car with a kick-ass stereo, but there's nothing wrong with my Festiva these days (other than the deafening silence thanks to that new muffler and lack of radio). But where did I get that idea that this type of luxury is my right? It's not, and I don't expect or need it. I just want to wake up every day feeling motivated by what my day holds for me. And preferably to feel that I am working towards a meaningful personal goal.

At this point I can't get behind any kind of company loyalty; sure, it's nice to have a salary and benefits, but I can't rationalize the overall reason for my efforts. What, truly, are the things that give me enjoyment? We had a spectacular sensory experience the other day cross-country skiing at world-class facilities and do you know what it cost us? $8.50 for a park pass and $15.00 for the skis. Less than twenty-five dollars each. Of course, it helps to have a vehicle, but all in all, not an expensive outlay for the pure enjoyment of plain old nature.

That's my kind of reality.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home