samedi, avril 15, 2006
  take me by the hand, take me somewhere new

They're trying something new in Calgary. Since we all had too much fun in 2004 during the Flames playoff run, well, apparently we gotta crack down and make sure the party doesn't get any better. The police have announced these crazy traffic control measures to try and discourage anyone from heading down the "Red Mile" from the Saddledome (you can only drive one direction on 17th Avenue during these periods). These are in effect during ALL remaining home and away games, in addition to any playoff games. Eep.

So the other night after joining froo and some co-workers at the Rose & Crown, Devin and I took a stroll down 17th, right through the heart of the so-called Red Mile (a WAY over-used term in this town, as far as I'm concerned). The number of policemen is kinda ludicrous at this point. As we passed policeman after policeman (on bikes, on foot, leaning against their patrol cars), I kept saying, "I almost think this makes it worse somehow". The plan is to crack down on all sorts of minor infractions - public drunkenness, public nudity, littering, jaywalking, etc. But it seems to add an element of tension that almost antagonizes rather than contain. I dunno, man.

Of course, I don't mean to say that the cops are all assholes or something. I remember having a conversation with one policeman during the 2004 craziness who told me that he hated drunk people and hated crowds. By contrast, the other night I stopped to ask one guy in front of Melrose whether we'd won the game (everybody seemed pretty jovial, but it was the start of a long weekend and a beautiful spring evening, so you never know). He was a friendly policeman who seemed pleased to share the information with me. Yay, we secured our playoff spot. Good times.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home