mercredi, mai 03, 2006
  and so it is, just like you said it should be
I used to say "I'm calling in sick". But lately it is, "I emailed in sick".

Today I emailed in flex day. That is, I took an unplanned day off completely without notice, except an email to my boss at 8 this morning. Our company gives us "personal days off" in addition to our pre-determined vacation time. I knew today was not going to be busy (as compared to my usual days, or something), so I figured it would be acceptable to miss the day.

I recently decided that I was going to start running a little more seriously. There's a crazy idea floating around in my head that I might even train for and run a 10K sometime later this summer. As a kickoff to that, last night I headed out for my first "long" run. I used the Google pedometer site to plot my route before leaving, and proceeded to complete 4.358 kilometres (that last .008 is significant...!). I was pleased with my performance; time is not terribly relevant at this point - I just want to DO it. So it didn't hurt and I wasn't fighting myself too much. Music is an integral part of blocking out loud thoughts and any discomfort, of course. I did it.

Contributing to my motivation is the fact that I finally feel better, after a relatively long stretch of illness of late. That damn stiff neck and cough/cold were making me pretty miserable. I said this once before, but it bears repeating: feeling good after you felt bad feels good. Like, it's such a tremendous relief. I'd felt kinda like I hadn't had a good night's sleep in over two weeks, and was getting sick of doping myself up with pain-killing and cold medication. I can breathe! I can turn over in bed without agonizing pain! Life is good.

The fatigue I felt this morning was from honest-to-goodness exercise, rather than tossing and turning and waking up in pain. So I took the day off.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home