lundi, mai 29, 2006
  I need your grace to remind me to find my own
I saw a piece on the CBC Sunday evening news tonight about Al Gore's new documentary "An Inconvenient Truth". I was already planning to see it on June 16th when it plays in Calgary at the Globe Theatre (come on, Calgarians!), but it's nice to see some media coverage of it. You can see the entire city listing here, so see if it's playing near you. The show had a predictable clip of somebody asking Shrub if he plans to see the movie. "Umm, I doubt it", he says. As in, I can't be bothered to be educated... Yeah, well, that much was already obvious, I suppose.

If you haven't heard about Gore's movie, it's generating a lot of buzz these days. Climate crisis and all that. It's something he's passionate about, so apparently his presentation contains very timely research and is delivered very effectively and entertainingly. Of course he's also generating criticism from those who don't want to hear the inconvenient truth:
"Gore believed in global warming almost as much as Hitler believed there was something wrong with the Jews."

Somehow Hitler keeps popping into the discussion. Gore draws a parallel between fighting global warming and fighting the Nazis. Novelist Michael Crichton, in State of Fear , ends with an appendix comparing the theory of global warming to the theory of eugenics -- the belief, prominently promoted by Nazis, that the gene pool of the human species was degenerating due to higher reproductive rates of "inferior" people. Both, he contends, are examples of junk science, supported by intellectual elites who will later conveniently forget they signed on to such craziness..
I find it rather curious that there are always people willing to deny scientific evidence of various phenomena. I mean, is it so hard to believe that industry and certain business practices are maybe, just maybe, having an impact? Sounds plausible to me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I usually have a hard time getting very excited about climate change, but I'm all for getting myself educated.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home