mardi, mai 23, 2006
  I never want to play the same old part

I was busy on Saturday. I woke up with the sun - it rises around 5:30 these days - and felt wide awake, so I got up. I was enjoying the quiet-ness for a while then decided to drop in at the compound to see what was going on over there. Well, it was race day, so I tagged along with the family.

Keri is doing a series of runs this summer called 5 Peaks - they're a bunch of races between 8 and 15 kilometres through cross-country terrain. The first one was at Canada Olympic Park - where they have the ski jumps, a ski hill and bike trails. Very hilly.

5 Peaks is also doing a neat thing and having a kids' race before the longer races, so both Kyle and Caia got to participate too. What a great thing to expose them to, I thought. That's them with their medals over there.

While Keri did his race, Gina and I took the kids over to Club McDo for snacks. Keri did really well - 10th in his age-and-gender-group (male 30-39, if you don't know). See? It was a good day for a run - cloudy and not too hot. I took a bunch of pics and they're here.

Saturday evening a bunch of us went to see Danny Michel, a performer recommended by froo (that's Persuade touching him over there). She'd seen him perform at the FolkFest one year and persuaded us to join her at the Hillhurst Community Centre for the show. Persuade, Jamie, froo, Vernon and I piled into Fred and drove down to Kensington. It was an odd venue for a music show, but it worked. They served alcohol and we all enjoyed the performance a lot. Danny does this cool thing where he records himself and then loops it back while accompanying the track with a different chord sequence or instrument. He incorporated various tapping, chord progressions, and even children's toys into his show on Saturday. Very unique, and an impressive talent.

Later we wrapped it up with some snacks over at Molly Malone's. Devin joined us after a separate party session with a friend, and he and I were crazy enough to walk all the way home - a nice five kilometre walk to solidly blister up my tender feet, which were sporting completely impractical-for-walking sandals. Ah well - it was a nice peaceful night for a walk. More pics here.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home