dimanche, juin 11, 2006
  growing up is not the absence of dreaming
A few days ago Devin and I dropped Persuade off at the airport. After a quick stop in London, she's heading to Germany for the World Cup. Now you wouldn't typically think of Persuade as a tremendous soccer fan, but this year is a big one for her homeland: it is the first time that Trinidad has qualified for the World Cup. And seeing as it's a tiny nation and a fairly tight-knit community, well, you know the people are planning to gather in Germany to support their boys.

I started thinking about somebody I was once acquainted with from Trinidad. He was called, well, "Trinny".

You see, the first year I was at Bishop's in 1992, there seemed to be a surprisingly large group of Caribbean-folk. Mostly they were from Barbados, and in a community of only two thousand students they seemed very visibly placed, so to me they were everywhere. One dude lived across the hall from me in rez, another was our RA (Don). Then there was another RA that I had a mad crush on (because of the cuteness, you see); Dean Hoyos was a treat to take in. I remember a particularly embarrassing scenario - one of those rez parties where the RAs were the designated sellers of shooters. Well didn't I just start making my request to Dean with "I want a shot and I think you're hot". Ah, the drunken frosh year. [DORK.] But I digress...

"Trinny" was one of the Bajan crowd. He was quieter than the other guys and didn't stand out, so although I maybe once knew his real name, it has long been forgotten at this point. The Bajans had nicknames for practicallly everybody on campus; they were the ones who referred to him "Trinny". The girl on my floor who had the popcorn maker became "popcorn girl", and most other names I heard for various students weren't terribly original either. I was "twin girl" - that made it easy for them because they could call froo and me the same thing and didn't need to learn the difference. I wonder now if Persuade knows Trinny, whoever he is...
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home