mercredi, juillet 26, 2006
  so take this moment, Mary Jane, and be selfish
Calgary baby tips the scales at 1 million

With all the stories in the local news about the abundance of jobs but the lack of affordable housing, well, I think it might be time for this girl to make her exit. Do you know that lots of people move here for the great job market, then end up living in campgrounds or homeless shelters? My decent-sized one-bedroom apartment near the university (out of downtown) was $630 per month when I moved in last August; I've already been notified that the rent is going up to $670 in October. My landlord will likely put that even higher when he finds out I'm leaving in September.

Since I haven't really shared the details of my exit plan in a while, and the plan has gradually been taking shape lately, here's the scoop. Devin and I moving together to Ottawa - he's not overly fond of Calgary and would like to head East again. By fortunate coincidence, a good friend of his from Bishop's is currently in Ottawa and also planning an exit. This friend is likely going to sublet his apartment to us, and is working on getting Devin a job where he works. We're still crossing our fingers that those two items come through.

Salsa froo and I are in talks to create a fair deal on the loan of her car to me to cross Canada with. Festiva Fred will be left behind (anyone need a great city car in Calgary?). I will hopefully rid myself of most large possessions (i.e. bed) in the next several weeks, and will load up the smaller stuff and my cat and drive East at the end of August. UPS will help me ship anything that doesn't fit in the car, which will probably be a significant amount of stuff. I'll give notice at my apartment on July 31 and resign my job on August 3 (planning to work up to August 25). Classes start September 7.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home