mercredi, novembre 01, 2006
  what am I to do with my life
Some of my profs really frustrate me. There are a couple who seem a little too pleased with themselves and don't put a ton of effort into delivering quality lectures.

Yesterday my Public Affairs Analysis professor was trying to put me to sleep again. This dude is smart but doesn't seem to prepare much for class. We start out by bringing up topics from the news headlines that he gives his impression of (don't believe what you read is his general message). Then he checks where we are in the syllabus, grabs a textbook and starts going through the chapter's table of contents and telling us which sub-headings we can ignore and gives a short blurb on a selected few headings. He completely improvises, and it's not terribly useful improvisation. I'm regularly struggling to stay awake in that class.

And this morning in my Research Methods class? Well, we spent over 30 minutes of a 60 minute class with the prof calling the names of all 120-ish students to the front so he could "whisper" our midterm mark to us. Seriously, this guy needs a lesson on using WebCT, which is what a lot of courses use to distribute notes, review materials, study guides, and MARKS. What a ridiculous use of class time. Then again, his lectures are often off-topic and show-offy anyway (today we got a lesson in dressing for the "next job" we want, in which we learned that he wears Oxford shirts --> useful stuff, eh), so we didn't miss much, I wouldn't say.

For some reason I expected a higher caliber of teachers at Carleton. My history professor is fabulous, I must point out. And my IPE lady is pretty efficient, too. These two guys, though. Makes you a little annoyed. And for the girl who's being pretty productive at home preparing to write term papers, it's getting hard to convince myself that attending class is a good way to spend my time..!
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home