dimanche, décembre 24, 2006
  I just have no use for Christmas without you
I am resigned to being fatigued and foggy-brained at this point. But it's a good kind of fog, the one where you're surrounded by family and ease.

Why haven't I slept, you might ask. As a student these are my days to sleep in and not fret about a thing. But a funny thing happened that first morning when I woke up partially rested and realized where I was. I knew that if I stepped into some shoes and tiptoed my way across the balance-beam landscaped retaining wall, I would find a scene that soothes me. That is a sister-in-law groggily watching television with a child or two or three, my nieces and nephew.

So I do it everyday, just as I did when I lived in the family compound two summers ago - I brace myself for the elements, whatever they may be, and sneak off in my pyjamas to visit my familial neighbours.

We're all here this year, the Ryan children (children who are adults, mind you, can't you tell from this photo). Five of us, and each of us with a friend or significant other to invite to holiday get-togethers, not to mention three young ones. So the gatherings have been large and social and fun. Yet it is truly the little unplanned moments that actually make for the best memories. We've had beers together, bowled together, prepared meals together, played poker together, run errands together, washed dishes together, vegged together. And we laugh together.

And tonight we had to have a serious talk about whether Mom's big round table would seat all of us who are expected for turkey dinner on Boxing Day. The younger children will have their own table, but we figure that we can squeeze all thirteen adults at the main table.

I'll steal what Keri said earlier. I just feel lucky to have so much family around, 'cause a lot of people don't.

UPDATE: Pics from our bowling night are here.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home