vendredi, janvier 12, 2007
  well I fought with a stranger and I met myself

Yesterday I had a meeting / interview at a legal placement agency about getting me out working. It was both encouraging and discouraging, because I got the reinforcement of being told that I have great "skills", but then the depressing realization that those skills consist of the ability to type over eighty words a minute (I tested at 87 WPM yesterday) and scoring "excellent" on the test for Microsoft Word. Woo hoo, I can edit documents REALLY FAST. Of course I fall back on legal admin work 'cause that's what I know and that's what I'm good at, but surely goodness I have more to offer this world than my wicked-fast typing. I just never seem to know quite how to get off this track. I have some applications in with the government, but sadly our federal government seems to have a snail's pace hiring process, and I think I can maybe hope to get hired in about six months or something. Can somebody please hire me as a proofreader / editor / writer / researcher? That's what I want to do at this point. Not cater to the whim of a lawyer who's too useless to type his own emails. GRR.

After the meeting I hopped in a cab and made the short trip across the bridge to Hull to meet Devin for lunch. It's nice to visit Quebec 'cause although the city of Gatineau isn't terribly impressive (as compared to, say, Montreal or Quebec), you do get that feeling of "different-ness" about the culture. The cute restaurants and cafés are not what you're accustomed to in English Canada. After lunch we went for coffee and the place even served it European-style in these little cups you see in this photo. After my trip to Prague and Amsterdam in 2005, I acquired a taste for drinking my coffee this way (that's why I like the Americanos from Starbucks and Second Cup now), so it was fun to have it that way again. We felt so fancy.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home