mardi, mars 06, 2007
  can you see them - out on the porch, but they don't wave
For my Canadian Public Policy class, I have to hand in a case study analysis of a Canadian policy area. I have selected the issue of same-sex marriage, but I keep questioning my choice. Because here's the thing: "policy" is defined as anything the government decides to do or not do. The matter of re-defining marriage (or rather, defining it in the first place, since it was never spelled out in law before the Civil Marriage Act came into force) wasn't something any government set out to address as a policy area. That is, until a Supreme Court ruling forced them to write laws ensuring equal treatment for all couples with respect to the institution of marriage.

So the federal government established a committee and had debates and all that, but in reality their path wasn't left very open for interpretation. The Supreme Court said they had to do something that fell within the limitations of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (which protects individuals). All they had to do was write the law. So I'm kinda confused firstly about why they got the opportunity to vote on it, except as some kind of formality. And secondly, I'm wondering, is this really even a "policy" area? I sure hope so, 'cause I don't really have a backup plan.

Here's my draft outline, if you're interested. The actual analysis isn't due until March 27th.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home