lundi, avril 09, 2007
  you're the only one that will stay the same
I don't know if I'm late to the game but it seems like me and a bazillion people from my past and present are just now discovering the wonders of Facebook. If you aren't familiar, it's one of those "networking" sites that lets you connect with "friends" based on details you give from your own email address books, the schools you attended, and other affiliations you have. You can even scroll through the friends lists of other people and make contact with people you may not have thought about in years. It's a bit trippy, honestly. I'm exchanging emails with people I know from elementary school, from random summers between university semesters, or even the odd person that I've touched base with now and then but haven't really talked to all that much.

I think most people are finding that the cool thing about the site is how easy it is to get set up. You don't have to write blurbs about yourself, you can join "groups" like "Moncton High School grad class 1992" (that's me, y'all), or even the silly "I judge you when you use poor grammar". You can upload a multitude of photos, write on each other's "walls", send private messages, and update your status (i.e. "Stacey is being interviewed"). And when you log in, it lets you know what all the people in your networks have added to their profiles, so there's minimal browsing to quickly get filled in.

It's been a long time since I felt part of a community, but I daresay this phenomenon is a brilliant step in creating something akin to a virtual community, in addition to connecting you to parts of your past you left behind (willingly or not). Pretty nifty.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home