mercredi, avril 04, 2007
  you're running for your life, you're a shooting star
I had a very nice birthday celebration on Monday. You only turn 33 once, you know, and I think I made the best of it. I heard from everyone in my family either by card or by phone, and Devin did a good job handling the birthday outing. We had debated trying a fancy restaurant for dinner, but when I took a look around my closet, I decided I would wear jeans and make it a Keg night. After enjoying an appetizer of carrot cake at home, I had a lovely steak dinner. The waiter was kind enough to send out a sparkler with my B-52 coffee after dinner, too, so it was all very festive. Some pictures are here.

On Sunday I did my long run of the week, a full 8.2 kilometres! With the weather warming up here, Devin and I have started exploring the river and canal pathways, and I was happy to find that the river paths here are just as nice as the Calgary ones. We jogged along the Rideau River, crossed over and came back the other side. I can't wait for summer when everything is green and lush, and I'm drenched with the humid air (!). I explained to Devin that for me, until my conditioning gets better, these long runs are comparable to a over-indulging in beers, in that the recovery is much longer. I felt good that day, but I swear my mind turns a bit mushy for the two days following a new challenge to my fitness; I walk around rather zombie-like. Ah well.

I'm on track to being ready for a 10-K race being held in Ottawa on April 15, but I'm still debating whether to register. I didn't realize that the organizers of these events take the opportunity to gouge the runners with excessive registration fees (even if the proceeds go to charity..?!). This one is forty-six dollars, and I think that's a tad high, especially given my no-income status right now. I might hold off until I start work in a couple weeks and register for a race in May after receiving a paycheque.

Oh, and that's the other news: I have a job. We'll see if working in Ottawa agrees with me more than student-ing in Ottawa.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home