jeudi, mai 03, 2007
  if you change your mind, I’m the first in line
After living through three seasons in Ottawa, I would like to share my observations of the Rideau Canal with you. The people, they really are pretty hardcore with the skating in the winter months. Me, I went once. It was damn cold, and I fell hard enough to leave crazy purple bruises on my butt. In March they shut that down and the ice gradually turns to slush, then dirty water. They lower the water level for the winter, so after a season of skating and people treating it like a garbage pit, I have to say it's pretty gross looking for a while. When you think about it, the canal is some pretty stagnant water very much unlike a pool that is maintained with cleaning and chemicals. So yeah. Gross.

But in the last week the water level has been rising, and today it was right up to where it's supposed to be, just in time for the tourists who I already see gawking around Ottawa. At lunch I was lounging on the grass beside the canal, trying to soak up some Vitamin D (okay, I know you don't soak it up directly from the sun, w/e). Suddenly I heard a vaguely familiar sound. It was the sound of Paul's boats cruising up the canal to take their position near downtown to start giving tours to the visitors. Still being something of a tourist myself, I quickly pulled out my camera and caught this shot. The trees are looking pretty bare still, but there's a hint of summer in that green green grass.

If you see me in Calgary tomorrow with a very large suitcase, don't be confused. I'm not moving back (not yet, anyway) - I just think I'll bring a big bag so I can lug some of my storage crap (and some Kokanee Gold) back to Ottawa with me.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home