lundi, juillet 30, 2007
  I hear the clock ticking time, better make up my mind
Since I'm leaving Ottawa this week for a little jaunt back to Calgary, Devin and I wanted to get one short camping trip in this past weekend. We didn't really know where to go exactly, and we'd heard that you had to reserve a spot way in advance to get in anywhere at Algonquin Park, which is a place I'd like to visit. So I searched the internet and found a place only two hours away, sort of northwest of Hull in Quebec, past Gatineau Park - a place called Leslie Lake.

It was raining like crazy on Saturday morning before we left, but I kept checking the forecast for the "Pontiac" region of Quebec where Leslie Lake is located, and they said no rain. So although as little as 30 minutes from our destination we were still surrounded by showers, we crossed our fingers and hoped the forecast would hold. It did. We eventually hit dry pavement, then gravel roads, and it actually felt like we were driving to the middle of nowhere, but we eventually ended up at the secluded campground.

When they say they have fantastic campsites, they're not kidding. I was thrilled with our campsite this weekend. Tons of trees, tons of privacy, plenty of space in each site, great services, spectacular lake. What a getaway. I think it's amazing how you can go away for just over twenty-four hours and have it feel like so much longer, because you are so busy with activities and surrounded by good old nature that is so different from the typical routine.

Upon arriving, we quickly set up most of our gear before taking a stroll down to the beach. We observed that it was spectacular, so headed back to camp for lunch and coffee and a prolonged game of Scrabble before venturing back for a quick swim. Then a late dinner, some relaxing by the campfire roasting marshmallows, another walk to the lake to do some stargazing, then ready for bed.

I slept like crap, unfortunately. That instant coffee I picked up on the way out of town was maybe brewed a TAD too strong, and the noisy campers at a nearby site didn't help me relax. So I tossed and turned well into the night, but still rose around 8:00 to get started on breakfast, which was yummy despite the charbroiled sausage patties. We checked out of our site but parked at the beach to enjoy some canoeing and swimming in the sun before hitting the road back to Ottawa.

So, Ottawans, if you haven't discovered the beauty of the Pontiac region, I highly recommend it. More pictures are here.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home