mardi, juillet 24, 2007
  snowflakes are falling; now you're my long lost friend
On a bad connection one day driving through foggy New Brunswick, I had this conversation with froo in Calgary.
froo: I need to buy some lamps
froo: Keri really wants me to. For the environment, you know
Chief: couldn't you just get some special bulbs?
Chief: why do you need to get all new lamps?
froo: LAND, I said!
Chief: oh.
I love cooking breakfast. That was my favourite part job when I worked as a cook: juggling eggs-over-easy and panfries and too many slices of toast. There's something incredibly satisfying about having a big food order come together on time. Or ten small ones in a row. And managing your food prep supplies. And recovering from small mistakes (like breaking a yolk). Or creating a masterpiece "pan scrambler" at home, complete with fresh peppers and three kinds of cheese.

And so I talk about opening my own restaurant someday. I just see these funky breakfast diners opening everywhere and think I could do something similar. I have ideas about how I'd include coffee in the price of breakfast. And how there would be high ceilings and a bit of a barn feel. Lately it's been the organic / local food movement that has caught my eye.

Today I had lunch at this little place that, judging by its outward appearance, turned out to be a surprisingly great discovery. Devin and I, ever the tourists in our own city, were wandering around downtown looking for somewhere to eat after my interview this morning. I'd noticed Cafe Supreme before but never felt the urge to go in. Today we were impatient to eat so we gave it a shot. I was already commenting on the coziness of the decor before I bit into my chicken salad panini. That sandwich came with a choice of two side salads, so I chose pasta and spinach. The whole meal was incredibly tasty.

It made me think that I should get started on the planning for my little place. I think it will take a fair amount of research on my part to even come up with a business plan and determine where to get supplies. But maybe once froo buys some lamps she can invest in some cows and pigs to satisfy the local component of the food supplies. It's important to have a well-lit environment, don't you know.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home