dimanche, septembre 30, 2007
  stones taught me to fly
Yesterday morning I went to the grocery store and a man I didn't know gave me flowers. Peach-coloured roses, to be precise.

I've mentioned it before, so you probably know I joined a yoga class this term. It's the only class from my full course load that I haven't missed yet. That shows you my dedication to my academic life, I guess. I knew the first day I was supposed to attend class (a school class, that is) that I wasn't feeling the student life. I'm really over it, and I do not like living in Ottawa as a student. But yoga, well, that's kinda been a treat. Because, you see, I've never taken a class before. I've done a lot of yoga at home - all taught by the masters via TV and video. Rodney Yee, Susan Deason, Patricia Walden, and Kate Potter have done a good job teaching me.

It's a 90-minute class for "intermediate" practitioners, so I was a little anxious about how I would do. I was pleased to discover that I'm keeping up just fine. I was actually surprised, too, that I was sore for days afterwards. Granted, I've never done yoga for such a long stretch of time at once, but I have done lots of yoga and was surprised at the tightness in my muscles. But I love it. Yoga is one of those things that is hard to describe how it affects you. It's supposed to be a time of self-acceptance and quiet self-awareness, where you focus a lot on your breathing and being present in your body. And afterwards, you feel all stretched out and somehow more settled within yourself.

This weekend was more about being that way: settled. After so many weekends on the go, I am reporting a non-camping weekend this time around. This includes no wild nights out celebrating anything, and no frenzy of activity preparing for or going camping. No, this weekend was about chilling out, of the variety seen above (and literally, since it has finally cooled off here), watching a couple movies, doing some home-based yoga, pretending to do school work (soon..!), and a leisurely bike ride this afternoon with Devin. It was a good day for a bike ride - the leaves are still just turning colours and slowly floating to the ground, so it's very pretty out there, and smells refreshingly like fall. See more of our bike ride images here.

I think the man was just a store manager trying to clear out inventory (who the heck buys peach roses anyway?) and score points with the female customers. I appreciated it.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home