jeudi, septembre 06, 2007
  in the meantime, we got it hard, second-floor living without a yard
Yesterday the support staff at Carleton University went on strike. It didn't cause too many problems for me, since they seem to have prepared and trained some students to fill in at the Awards Office (where I process my loan), the library, and the sports complex. There were certain things I couldn't do, like pay my outstanding fine at the library, or get information about a yoga class I signed up for at the sports centre. Not a huge deal, whatever. I'll get that stuff done later.

The part that irks me is the scenario you see in this photo. I'm a little confused about the definition of "legal picket line" when it blocks access to the institution. I read about how strikers are permitted to talk to people entering and to distribute information about their issues. Maybe I'm getting hard in my old age, but I truly did not care yesterday what their issues are. I truly did not want to talk to anyone about it. I was minding my own business, driving on to campus to conduct my various student activities, and they were the ones creating a disruption to me, by controlling how many cars went by at a time (only about two, and that was after they made you sit there for a few minutes).

I get it, that they're allowed to do this. And I get it, that they're just people exercising their rights to demand better treatment. But they have to get that getting in people's way probably isn't going to gain them support. Does that make me heartless..?

In other news, it's roasting hot here today and I LOVE IT.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home