mardi, octobre 16, 2007
  east of the sun, west of the moon
There are the Facebook resistors out there - the ones who don't want to jump on the bandwagon just because everyone else is doing it. There are a variety of reasons, of course - just plain not being interested is a good one. I've sung the praises of Facebook for the way it facilitates re-connecting with people from one's past. And sure, it might just be a simple click to accept someone as your "friend", but sometimes these initial encounters amount to more. Emails are sometimes exchanged, giving the old friend the scoop on what has happened in the decade or more since last contact. And sometimes, if one is in the same city, meetings can occur. We all have different friendship styles - some are better at keeping in touch over time - but re-connecting without judgment or resentment is an affirming aspect of friendship for me, since I've moved around so much and have found it hard to be a presence in the lives of everybody I've left somewhere.

When I was in Moncton earlier this year, I got the chance to visit with my "best friend from junior high". And sure, we have gone down very different paths and have very different lives (she has three kids - eek!), but she is still the generous and accepting person that I remember, and hopefully she still thought I was interesting too (!).

And tonight I got the chance to visit with another old friend, a gal pal from the Bishop's days. Tracy works as a flight attendant but had a layover in Ottawa, so we had some snacks and drinks together. We were both a little nervous about the meeting, wondering whether we'd still have stuff to talk about after all this time. But we realized that we were friends for a reason back then, and that is that we are similar creatures and have plenty to talk about.

And God saw that the book of face was good.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home