dimanche, décembre 02, 2007
  in the end close is all there is
I do quite a bit of yoga these days. At first I just did beginner video routines - the people at Gaiam have put together some good basic videos over the years, so I've learned quite a bit. My latest thing is to try out yoga podcasts, and I've been pleasantly surprised with a couple of these. My favourite right now is the series by YogaDownload.com. I discovered them on iTunes, in the podcast directory. If you're interested in checking it out, I think it's better to obtain the files through iTunes, because it appears that you can't download them for free from the site - you have to purchase them.

The tricky part about assembling an audio-only yoga podcast (or any instructional file, I would imagine), is giving sufficient detail in the verbal instruction. I've been a little frustrated with some other podcasts that seem to be merely recordings of class instruction, where the teacher responds to the class instead of focussing on clarity in directing listeners, it seems. YogaDownload is incredibly precise in its routines and it makes it much more enjoyable to practice.

That's not to say that I don't sometimes pause the podcast and do a quick search for images of poses. I've done a lot of standing poses, so "pigeon" was new to me (that's the one you see here). The Yoga Journal website is excellent for pose instruction, I've discovered. It gets even trickier when instructors use only the Sanskrit for some of the poses. You gotta know what "Chaturanga Dandasana" is to complete your sun salutations! Namaste, eh.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home