jeudi, février 28, 2008
  a spot in the shade where oranges fall
I really do love the transit in Ottawa, but my recent job assignment has me working in a spot not so well served by the main routes. So what happens is, I take the bus downtown to the Rideau Centre and power-walk from one end to the other before exiting at Wellington and Sussex for the next part of my journey. The Rideau Centre, for those who are not familiar, is a large downtown mall (with an excellent selection of shops), but doubles for many Ottawa-Hull commuters as a pass-through point twice a day. I am one of those lucky few this week who get to seek shelter inside for a few minutes before braving the brutal winds that blow up Sussex Drive.

Yes, Sussex Drive is where the Prime Minister lives, and I do keep an eye out for him, but I don't actually pass his house, nor have I seen him drive by in any of the many chauffeured cars passing by. I have, however, seen a Saudi Arabian man in the backseat of one car, which makes sense since the Saudi Arabian embassy is right around the corner from my workplace. Right across the street is the Kuwaiti embassy, too. I have to wonder how representatives from those countries like living in Ottawa, especially this week, the week of frigid winds.

Lucky me, I also get to walk by the American embassy twice a day. It's a fortress. One day I saw the security guards having a wicked snowball fight, and another day I saw them searching a car for bombs as it entered the garage. They don't mess around at that place - you should see the various poles and barriers that prevent anyone from even getting a vehicle close to the actual building. I don't usually walk on that side of the street.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home