dimanche, mars 09, 2008
  I stare into some great abyss
Hey, guess what. I'm starting a new (temp) job tomorrow. This is the one that they made me interview for last week, and will apparently last until the end of the month. Look at me, all working regularly and stuff. I don't like to be too specific about where I'm working, but let's just say it's a branch with the biggest employer in town, and that I've been jokingly referring to it as being at the "prison". I hope it doesn't suck.

Did you see all our snow? Wow! I went on a reconnaissance mission this morning to assess the situation and really got a workout clearing my own path on the sidewalks. It was like walking through deep water, having to lift your legs up high and making those hip flexors work extra hard. Hopefully the sidewalk plows have a chance to do their work before morning.

I tried out another kind of squash this weekend. Before the great storm hit we were at the grocery store along with everybody else in town, and because of "armageddon", the produce section was looking a little picked over already. I couldn't find a butternut squash like I wanted, so I went for a spaghetti squash instead. If you've ever baked one of these, you'll know why they call it "spaghetti" - as you're scraping out all the meat-y stuff after baking, it comes out in strands, just like spaghetti. Some recipes even instruct you to serve it baked and mixed with other vegetables as though it were a casserole (no pasta added). I didn't do that today - I made another one of my soups. This time my veggie combo was squash, potatoes, garlic and spinach. I boiled the potatoes and garlic in chicken broth, steamed the spinach, then pureed the whole batch. Add some milk to make it soupy and you're all done - quite tasty! A lot of squash soups are served with a dollop of sour cream in the middle, and I've found that this is a genius flavour enhancer.

Good luck with the daylight savings transition tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit of a tough morning for me.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home