lundi, octobre 03, 2005
  I am as constant as the northern star
Fred got his brakes fixed for real last Friday. That last time I took him in (to Speedy) and they gave me that $983 estimate, I changed the plan and delayed the new brakes. So last week I headed back to my old neighbourhood garage (a Petro-Canada Certigard shop) where they were a little more reasonable about things. Fred still needs some work, but at least I've got safe brakes again.

That meant that my tour-guiding with deVaughan could be a little better over the weekend, since I'm not so hesitant to drive longer distances. We went for some nice long drives around the city - this city is pretty crazy for sprawl and I wanted him to get a sense just how big it spreads. So Friday we did a bit of a western loop. Out the Trans-Canada highway to the edge of town (Springbank, for those who know), then back into town on the Old Banff Coach Road, then down that big hill of Sarcee Trail. Some good views from up there.

Sunday we headed south. deVaughan had been asking where Spruce Meadows was, and it's just at the southern tip of the city, so we headed all the way down Crowchild, on Glenmore to 14th Street, then continued south on McLeod all the way to the 22X highway, where the Spruce Meadows exit is. Those neighbourhoods are all new to me, so we explored a bit through Somerset before getting back on McLeod, heading north to Anderson, then east over to the Deerfoot. deVaughan has family in Douglasdale and I knew that region was over there somewhere, and we stumbled upon it pretty quickly. The tricky part was getting out of the neighbourhood, after we'd stopped at Wendy's for lunch. I knew we were just off 130th Avenue south but I wasn't terribly sure where on the map that put us. So I stopped at London Drugs to consult a map. You know your city is changing fast when you gotta look at a map just to navigate within the city borders.

This week I have my livingroom back. deVaughan has taken a quick trip up to Edmonton (he's quite the adventurer) to do some visiting. A certain feline of mine is missing him (he spoils the cat a bit). It's been fun hanging out with deVaughan, but my place is only a one-bedroom and there's a reason I live alone. I've gotta squeeze all my underwear-poker-playing into three days this week. Heh.

This week is also my final week at the law firm. Tomorrow is my going-away "thing". I've been there a whole five months and I've got a lot of good-byes to say, don't you know. It's been strange since I gave my notice at work - I started feeling kinda disengaged and disconnected from it all pretty quickly. I mean, when you're running your butt off in the midst of the chaos you know it's rather foolish, but there's that certain adrenaline rush that feeds your ego and keeps you running. Once you've made that decision to leave it behind, you're less inclined to get worked up for it for even just a few more days. This is all a fancy way of saying I've kinda stopped caring. I mean, I'm showing up and doing some stuff, but I'm nowhere near as motivated as I was before. Maybe it's the burnout kicking in.

Speaking of burn, my legs are achy today too. I went for a short jog last night and then did some weights. That never fails to give my legs a workout. Better than the workout my wallet will be getting next month when Fred gets a new "catalytic converter". Apparently they're an expensive part of the exhaust system. $600-ish. Ouch.
 
Java Popup Window Example




<< Home